Tuesday, July 19, 2011

SPA PERFECTION

Recently I purchased a Groupon for a spa which offered a facial and massage for half price ($150 instead of $250). And since I was definitely in need of some MAJOR rejuvenation, I didn't waste any time calling to book my appointment for the following week. Let me preface this by saying that, because I am in the beauty industry, I am VERY selective when it comes to choosing skin care products and spa services. And while I have been less than impressed by most, I seemed to have surprisingly regained my trust in both after my 2 hour spa experience today.











Upon entering Sphatika, the shaded crisp white room accented with calming tones of sand beige and turquoise put me at ease right away. The energy of the immaculate room was tranquil and a hint of aromatic fragrance filled the air. I was greeted warmly by the concierge, Priscilla, who's skin by the way glowed as if she herself just had a day at the spa. Priscilla brought me cozy slippers and had me place all of my belongings (handbag, flip flops, etc.) on a bamboo tray that she would stow away for me until I was ready to leave. Next, she brought me to the changing room where I gladly undressed, put on a luxurious robe, and met her in the "Shanti Loka" room or "Peaceful Abode". It was there that Priscilla impressed me greatly by explaining the philosophy of Sphatika (which by the way means "Crystal" in ancient Sanskrit), a bit about their 100% natural product line, and why the chosen sounds were playing. Very interesting and much appreciated. There were the largest most gorgeous healing crystals I've ever seen placed throughout the room, as well as 3 individual wooden-like pods called "Infrared Saunas", a pitcher of fresh lemon water, some colorfully displayed skin care products on a counter, and a few extremely enticing cushy bamboo lounge chairs covered in white terry cloth and sloped in all the right places. Priscilla handed me a glass of water and my very own tiny crystal (what a lovely gesture) and asked me to set my intention as I sat in the sauna. And so I did. I closed my eyes while sitting in the dry infrared heat (for about twenty minutes) and began to meditate to the sound of relaxing subliminal sounds with crystal in hand. I truly felt like I could have been in a warm desert somewhere. I felt the tension disappear and, as I opened my eyes, noticed through the tiny glass window in front of me the airy hypnotic fluttering motion of the bamboo ceiling fans.










It was time to meet my wonderful esthetician Midori, a very soft spoken petite girl who led me to the next phase of my healing journey. She explained that I would be receiving a Lymphatic Drainage facial and body treatment. I couldn't wait to begin. Midori began by "rocking" my entire body in a very constant rhythmic motion that made me feel like I was being cradled to sleep. She quietly narrated the entire process for me so that there were no surprises that could hinder my relaxation experience. Dry brushing came next...Using a soft bristle brush, long sweeping motions from the tips of my toes and fingers towards my heart invigorated my senses and directed toxins to lymphatic release points throughout my body. A gentle lemon oil massage and mineral masque followed. Afterwards, a clever "tent" was lowered over me, covering my entire body, while warm steam filled the contained area and allowed my body to rejuvenate. My facial began...A cleansing lotion was applied first and Midori's soft hands glided all over my face, neck, and decollete like a well choreographed dance. Each motion more soothing than the next. The delicate Gommage Exfoliating Creme followed and then the fabulous Lymphatic Drainage Machine. Imagine tiny little cups sounding like low frequency melodic tones that ever so gently suction your supple skin as they glide along your face. A few times around the track and my face was ready for a masque. At this point I remember feeling a bit dehydrated and before I could say anything, Midori had a straw ready for me to take a sip of water. Much better. Love the thoughtful attention to detail. I then became quite toasty until a refreshingly cool damp towel enveloped my face and made me feel instantly wonderful. The Lymphatic Facial finished with a Bulgarian Rose Facial Oil (smells lovely), Vitamin A Night Creme, and the magical Gold Finishing Serum that made me glow like an angel.











My zen oasis time came to a close with a peaceful rest in the Shanti Loka room. A tiny plate of mixed nuts, a square of dark chocolate, and a fresh glass of water were awaiting me on a table next to my lounge chair as I entered. I could have honestly stayed there for hours. But, as all things, everything must come to an end. I got dressed, admired my newly glowing skin in the mirror, expressed my sincerest thanks to concierges Priscilla and Karen, then made my way out the door feeling light as a feather and very grateful for such a nurturing experience. I can't wait to go back!

Sphatika is located at 1841 Broadway (Between Broadway and 9th Avenue), Suite 811.
Call 212-265-5885 to make an appointment.

No comments: